Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Science Behind Procrastination

by Edward, This post originally appeared at Radioactive Lab Rats.



Everybody procrastinates. I’m doing my blog, which is a week or more overdue at midnight, so I thought it’d be suitable to do a post on procrastination.
If I offered you one hundred dollars now, or one hundred and ten dollars in a month’s time, which would you take? Similarly  if I offered you one hundred dollars in a year’s time, or one hundred and ten dollars in a year and a month’s time, which one would you take? In the first case, you’d probably pick the immediate reward, but in the second case, you figure that what the heck, you may as well wait the extra month for the extra cash. This is due to an effect called Temporal Discounting. Last Tuesday, I said that I would do my blog on Friday, but when Friday rolled around, I just played video games and let it slide. So here I am now, providing a blog that says it wasn’t my fault. This is also the result of another effect called present bias; basically the farther away something is time wise, the less it’s value appears to be. The things that are near to you are going to hold higher value in your heart.
I’m sure you’ve all heard about the study for twenty, break for 5 and a reward method of studying. I’ve always been too lazy to try, but it may be a good idea. Does anyone use this and how effective is it?
I took everything from this youtube video: 

I stumbled across it while doing looking up stuff about procrastination. This guy actually has a few other cool short videos as about some other things. I recommend you go check them out.
About this contributor: Edward is a Grade 11 student and goes to Churchill Secondary. He is fortunate enough to be in the Future Science Leaders program at Science World, and he likes science. He volunteers at Science World too. He thinks it'd be cool to be a science communicator at some point in his future.

No comments:

Post a Comment